Friday 26 August 2016

Undeniable Importance of a Condom

Undeniable Importance of a Condom

When it comes to unwanted pregnancy, everything else goes out of the window. There is a hard way to learn this lesson and there is no soft way to handle an unwanted pregnancy. Think about it, there are enough people who tell themselves that they are too cool to get 'involved' after sex. That's pretty much all there is to sex. Once you are no longer a virgin, the rest is up to your choice. If you decide to break up with your sexual partner, the world is not likely to consider you bad or evil. The bad news is that there is more to sex. 

Hitting the Baby Speed Bump

I found out the hard way that sex is nothing but a trick played on us human beings to reproduce. All nature has one overruling and omnipresent purpose and that purpose is to bring forth new life. 
It all started with fun and games and desperate longing. Those nights in her studio soon became impromptu beer sessions with plenty of giggles as we improvised ways to get comfortable. Of course, when you are young and out to have fun, the last thing on your mind will be to look up the outcome of unwanted pregnancy. According to WHO, 15 million out of a total of 16.7 million pregnancies in India every year can be avoided with proper use of modern contraception methods. If you think these are people who are ignorant, think again because Among the 14,893 women who did not use contraception and did not want to get pregnant, 37% women cited fear of side-effects and health concerns as the main reason for non-use; 22.4% women were simply opposed to it, 17.6% women underestimated the risk of pregnancy.

The first shock came when my girlfriend called me up from the doctor's. Her periods were always irregular and there seemed to be no cause for worry except this time it was different. She was pregnant. The baby was born premature (probably because we did not find out until the fourth month and neglected the right care and nutrition my pregnant girlfriend needed out of sheer ignorance) and spent a week in the oxygen tent. By the end of two weeks, I had exhausted all my savings paying for neonatal intensive care and her parents had to foot the bill. That definitely did nothing to improve my image in their eyes. Pretty soon, I lost my job in the global recession of 2013 and had no money to support the baby. Getting fed up of my lack of support, I was barred from visiting my unexpected family. The sorrow of parting drove me to years of alcoholism and depression that ruined my career and a good part of my life. After a good amount of therapy and rehabilitation, I have learned that the golden rule of condoms, 'It is better to have a condom and not need it than to need a condom and not have it.' All my grief could have been avoided if I just had a Durex Excite Me in my wallet on that fateful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment